As soon as I hear the word Palak/Spinach , one person always comes into my mind and that is Popeye. In popeye cartoons whenever Popeye was attached by Bluto he will have a can full of Spinach and he becomes Super Powerful . I remember when we were small , Spinach was given to us by telling about popeye, if you eat Spinach you will be as powerful like popeye….. and we used to believe it and eat 🙂
Ok coming back to our recipe….. Today’s recipe is Palak chicken, developed this recipe for my daughter ,as she loves chicken and she like palak only if its with paneer , so i tried experimenting Palak by pureeing it and adding it to the chicken and Hurrah it was a big success … 🙂 and she loved it
Recipe follows, its the same as we do Palak Paneer with just a few changes , lets move on with the pictorial
First Clean your Palak Leaves , cut the stems, wash well and pat dry , then Boil them for about 5 minutes, then transfer to ice water bowl. This method is called shocking, where cooking is stopped and the color is retained .
Now marinate the chicken with ginger garlic paste, chili powder, Coriander powder, Salt , Turmeric powder,Fennel Powder let it rest for sometime.
Lets Prepare the gravy now
Heat some oil , add dry spices, chopped onions , saute for a while add ginger garlic paste and Green chili, Saute well and Add cherry tomatoes /or any available tomato , i like small round tomatoes in my curry, that’s y i put cherry tomatoes.
when sauted well add your marinated chicken , intially no need to add water wait for sometime .add little water to it and cook well.
While the chicken cooks lets puree our Palak .
Add the palak , coriander leaves and one green chili into and mixer and puree well
Check whether the chicken has cooked properly, add in Garam masala mix well and add in the Pureed Palak and Simmer for 10 mins.
Don’t boil too much as it will loose the green color . Simmer for 10 mins and switch off flame .Add little bit cream (Optional)
So now our Palak chicken is ready to be served Now moving to measurements
Recipe Name: Palak Chicken Time Taken- 25 Mins
Author -Shabna Ahamed Type – Medium
- Palak – 2 bunch
- Coriander Leaves-1 bunch
- Chicken – 500 gms
- Coriander Powder- 1 tbsp
- Chili Powder- 1 tbsp
- Turmeric-1 tsp
- Fennel powder- 1tsp
- Ginger garlic paste-3 tsp(half for marination and half for gravy )
- Oil- as required
- Dry spices -Fennel Seeds, Cardamon, Cloves for tempering
- Onion-2 finely chopped
- Tomato-2 (if using Big ) I used cherry tomatoes -4
- Green chili -1 slitted
- Garam Masala- 1 tsp
- Cream- (Optional)
- Salt – As required
- Wash the Palak and boil in water for 5 minutes, then quickly transfer to another bowl with ice water, this is done to retain the green color. Let it cool down
- Now Marinate the chicken with Chili powder, turmeric powder, Coriander powder ,Fennel powder, ginger garlic paste. Marinate and keep it aside.
- Now heat heavy bottom pan , add oil, dry spices saute then add onions, balance ginger garlic paste, green chili. saute well and add the tomatoes mix well .
- Now add the marinated chicken in to it, mix well add salt and little water, close with lid and let chicken cook well.
- Puree the palak with one green chili and coriander leaf
- once chicken is cooked well now add in Garam masala and the pureed palak and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Don’t boil too much , it will lose its color. switch off flame , finally add cream to it (optional)
Palak chicken is ready to be served . Serve with Chapattis/Roti/Rice
Hope you all liked it
Try it you will love it ❤